Scoring is simple and easy to understand. At the end of each game, the score is quickly determined by the balls left on the table. There is no need to track innings, safeties, or anything else during the game. Players also have an opportunity to earn points for their team even when they lose a game. It's not much fun to play well and make several balls only to get a zero. With the 17-point scoring system, players and teams at least get some credit for their efforts.
Each player carries an "average" which is considered their rating and is often used for handicapping. This problem is discussed in greater detail below. Another problem is that player averages in different leagues and regions are often not comparable. Finally, situations occasionally occur in which a player's incentive to win the game is replaced with an incentive to just make a few balls.
The Old Way
Each team member's average is totaled to establish a team average. When two teams play, the difference in their averages is the handicap. See the below example. Team A has an average of 39.72 and Team B has an average of 54.62. Because Team B's average is 14.9 points higher, Team A would get 14 or 15 points, depending on the league's rounding rules, added to its score in each round as a handicap.
Player 1 - 6.67
Player 2 - 5.23
Player 3 - 8.12
Player 4 - 7.89
Player 5 - 11.81
Total - 39.72
Player 1 - 12.16
Player 2 - 10.24
Player 3 - 8.89
Player 4 - 13.35
Player 5 - 9.98
Total - 54.62
Team A - 39.72
Team B - 54.62
Difference - 14.9 pts.
Handicap: 15 pts. per round
Another issue is that averages in different leagues and regions are often not comparable. An average of 12.16 in Chicago is probably not the same as an average of 12.16 in Dickinson, Alabama. Because the populations are so different, the talent pool is larger and the overall skill level is likely higher in Chicago.
A Better Way Using FargoRate
Instead of having an average, each player has an "expected score" in each game based on the Fargo Ratings of the two players. The expected score for each player is expressed as...
Let's look at an example. Suppose Ted has a Fargo Rating of 400 and is playing Robert who has a Fargo Rating of 569. Statistically, Robert has a 76% chance of winning and a 24% chance of losing each game. The losing score function reveals that on average, Robert is expected to score 4.2 points in his losses to Ted. Because the two scores must always equal 17, Ted is expected to score 12.8 (17 pts. - 4.2 pts.) on average when he defeats Robert. The losing score function also reveals that on average, Ted is expected to score, 3.5 points in his losses to Robert. Again, because the two scores must always equal 17, Robert is expected to score 13.5 (17 pts. - 3.5 pts.) on average when he defeats Ted. The total expected scores are as follows.
Expected Score vs Ted = 11.3 pts.
(76% * (17 pts. - 3.5 pts.)) + (24% * 4.2 pts.)
Expected Score vs Robert = 5.7 pts.
(24% * (17 pts. - 4.2 pts.)) + (76% * 3.5 pts.)
Confused yet? Don't be. FargoRate and LMS can do all the work for you. When using paper score sheets on league night, visit http://leaguecalc.fargorate.com and enter the ratings of each player for the round. See the below example. In this scenario, there are two 5-player teams playing a round robin format where each person plays one game. The result is "Team One" gets a 21-point handicap in the round.
For more information about how FargoRate and LMS can help your league, contact us at 702-719-POOL (7665).